Surinaams Monument
Villa josephine
Villa Josephine is named after Josephine Magdalena Corsten, born
in 1924 from the marriage between Henricus Cornelis Corsten and
Henriette Magdalena Lemmet.
Her father, Henricus, acquired ownership of the plot with the
building standing on it in 1931; the building dates from the late 19th
century.
After Henricus’s death in 1936, his daughter Josephine acquired the
property, which she transferred in 2006 to her son Hugo Augustinus
Maria Essed, from her marriage to Max Désiré Leonard Essed.
In the same year, Hugo transferred the property to his children Aisa
Chantal Essed and Rio Rabin Essed, thus two grandchilderen of
Josephine, who passed away in 2016 at the age of ninety-two. Aisa
and Rio were born from the marriage of Hugo to Angeline Yvonne
Rosita Fernald, a family that lived in the property from 1984 to
1993.
In 2007, the ground floor was constructed of stone and the upper
floor was thoroughly restored, all in the original style, but with the
addition of the characteristic small balcony.
Since August 2024, the centenary of Josephine’s birth, Villa
Josephine has been operational as accommodation under the name
Villas Paramaribo.